Jun 14, 2012

Kan Kick: The Instrumental Maestro



This post is about the continued legacy of the underground beatsmith known as KanKick. Perhaps I am biased because I know the man personally, but I have collected his albums ever since he released From Artz Unknown in 2001. Something about his ability to flip grimey, obscure samples with hypnotic crispy drums always puts me in a trance and makes me super jealous of his record collection.

KanKick is what I would call SUPER underground, as I rarely meet anyone who knows his work until I mention a Lootpack/Madlib feature from years earlier. Kan continues to put out albums of quick little gems similar to the in-between tracks, snippets that Dilla, Pete Rock and Preemo have included in many of their releases and beat tapes. He builds entire albums from these concepts that feel like the soundtrack to a beat digger's treasure trove in the basement of a dusty bomb shelter.

I had a hand in designing the Rummage To Royalty packaging and was glad to attach my name to a project with Kan earlier this year. Check out the video stream below, track down his past discography and support a true hip-hop beat master doing his best to stay alive in the Young Money infested airwaves of today.

KanKick - Rummage 2 Royalty (full album stream)

No comments: