May 16, 2014

Fine Art Friday: Matt Cusick - "Defacements" Series

I first came across the work of Matt Cusick when I saw the cover art for the "Benthic Lines" album from Dan Lyth. I liked the subtle ocean/sky combo which was enough to prompt me to look online for more of his work. I then came across his Defacement series, where he takes pages from old schoolbooks and alters them by sanding and scraping away everything except the page number, an illustration, and a few chosen words. They end up becoming these unintended poems that seem to resonate with a power stronger than the source material. Personally, I enjoy the unearthing of a hidden message or intent in the mass-produced pages of discarded books. Check it out and see how a simple concept can be executed with minimal elements.

ARTIST WEBSITE
http://mattcusick.com/defacements









No comments: