Oct 26, 2012

Fine Art Friday: Jenny Saville

The image above was the first Jenny Saville painting I ever saw and it changed how I viewed painting and even worked on my own projects from that point. Her work is giant, often 10 feet tall, and the textures and layers of paint are so thick it feels like ripped flesh, often mimicking the subject matter. These first few paintings are of post plastic surgery women and their attempts to mangle their bodies to make themselves beautiful. Though it is less "horror" themed then most of the work this past month, her images shock most people but I find myself re-inspired every time I see them.


More info and images after the jump:


INTERVIEW AT GAGOSIAN GALLERY
Jenny Saville in conversation with Nicholas Cullinan 29/06/12 from Modern Art Oxford on Vimeo.

No comments: