May 12, 2012

RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA of Beastie Boys


I just walked past this mural of MCA today and thought I would post it for the world! It was put up in the East Village/ NYU neighborhood and I walked past it today on my way to chow down on ice cream. It stopped me in my tracks for 2 reasons...it was done quick (within a day or so or his death) and the well-crafted layout and placement.

Though my interest in the Beastie Boys waned in the last few years, I will always remember the LICENSED TO ILL as the first cassette tape I eve bought and for the follow up crazy antics of PAULS BOUTIQUE and other albums. The last album I checked for was the 5 BOROUGHS album. Less so for the rhymes, but just to see where BB were at in the ever changing landscape of music.

Regardless of what you think of the Beastie's, they made a lasting impact on rap, it's ability to cross cultures, and they were able to create their own "lane" and keep it interesting for damn near 25 years as a group. MCA will be missed, but the legend lives on! Now in mural form!

Props to Cram Concepts

1 comment:

CRAM Concepts said...

Yo Jones,

Nice photo and thanks for my shout out. This mural was created referencing the "so what cha want" video that MCA directed. It was when I was first put on to beastie boys back in 92. The quote is of course from license to ill. You should check there last album, Hot sauce committee part 2, it will not disappoint. There is a track with Nas on it that is bangin'.
Much respect