Jul 15, 2007

Local Favorites: Knotty Slayaz - "Lunatical Biography" (R.I.P.) 1995



The Knotty Slayaz was a hip hop group from Hopkinsville, KY circa 1994/1995. They released a cassette only demo and I was able to get a copy from the lead MC, Be Be (now RasOne of HPT). I grew up with him and we were always trading rap tapes but when he and his crew recorded this song, I wanted a copy for historical reasons. Not too long after they released this and started performing, one of the MC's, Rocky, passed away from a brain hemorage. The group stopped recording soon after and disbanded. They reformed around 1997 as HPT, but altered their sound towards a more club-friendly and popular audience.

Their demo, while rough and darker thematically, was charming for me because it was my friends doing what they loved. It may not be the dopest demo in the world to you, but it always brings back images of high school for me and the FlatLinerz, Gravediggaz era of hip hop. A moment in time. It is super lo-fi, but it is the only copy in existance outside my original cassette. Enjoy.

Knotty Slayaz - Lunatical Biography
http://www.mediafire.com/?a0gp8sjv6h7thnj

No comments: